Tuesday, December 14, 2010

new beginnings

Isaiah and I returned home together October 30th.

I am still processing the trip and all that I saw and experienced in DRC. I can say with ease that it was life changing. I continually catch myself getting anxious and righteous about the benefits of living in America. I grunt and moan when someone cuts me off, I check my watch while i am standing in line waiting on someone to figure out the credit card machine, I complain about grocery shopping and meal preparations...but then I stop. And I remember. I remember the heat, the endless waiting, the smiles, the generous spirits of the many wonderful people I met in DRC. In a place where nothing is easy and nothing can taken for granted, I saw a selflessness that exudes joy and sings welcome and dances at the benefit of an offering. I think in some ways i am trying a little harder to live like i did in Africa.

Isaiah is a joy. He is full of light and happiness. He is funny--his laughter is contagious...deep and raw. He is inquisitive, busy, entertaining, and full of love. Not to say he doesn't have a temper. He often shows his temper to Joshua if he takes a toy from him or trys too hard to "teach" him something... He will also get majorly ticked if i don't rescue him from his room within 3 seconds of his first whimper. Isaiah's love of food can also lead to some angst especially if someone doesn't know his newly added house rule...no one eats alone. He legislates sharing, especially if the food looks like a cookie, french fry or hamburger.

Our pursuit of him didn't make sense. We were struggling. We were broken. We still are in some ways. But God in his rich mercy and his crazy grace has blessed us again and continually promises us that he will never leave us. So thankful to be chosen to be this kid's family.

1 comment:

Sarah Abbott said...

Love this. And love you guys.